Supercharged Camira..

Craig and Adam\’s attempt at adding an SC12 to a JE Camira wagon

Archive for July, 2008

and the weather was just perfect!..

Posted by superchargedcamira on July 27, 2008

Hey all,

Good news, yesterday was the day the camira had her first drive with the supercharger providing all the air to the intake! Its taken 2 years, but we’ve finally got there.. wohooo ūüôā

Considering thats its been fairly miserable weather for the past week, and expect for the following week, saturdays weather was perfect for the camiras first real run, barely a cloud in the sky. When adam arrived saturday morning, our objective was purely tuning the 2 bar ROM a bit more, as the current rom was still having to do a bit too much fuel correction. Using KMAN(from the pulsar forum)’s very handy excel sheet for working out corrections, we applied the corrections we thought necessary, burnt a new ECU ROM and proceeded to go for a drive. Suprisingly the changes were pretty close to spot on, close enough that we didnt really feel the need to make anymore corrections.

Well that really didnt take too long, it was only just lunch time. So what next.. should we try and run the supercharger with the new rom.. why the hell not! So we ran over what we needed to finish off before we could do that. Firstly we needed a source for a vacuum hose to run to the bypass valve so that the engine can still get air when the supercharger is not running. Looking at our options, there was really only one good option, and that was to put a T in the vacuum hose that runs to the MAP sensor. So off to auto one we went again and picked up a length of 6mm vaccum hose and a copper T piece. We got back, split the MAP vacuum hose, inserted the T piece and ran a new hose to the bypass valve. We then took out the old airbox, and connected up the final piece of intercooler piping to the throttle body.

First we decided to test the air bypass valve, that was simply a matter of starting the engine with the supercharger switched off. To both our suprise it worked perfectly. Although the in theory it should have worked perfectly, we thought that there might have been some slight lag between the valve opening and the air being sucked through the bypass into the engine, resulting in a small noticable splutter by the engine, but there was no such issue. So far so good, everythings been going right so far. We turned on the supercharger and the engine continued to run fine, gave it a couple of revs, still good. It was time to take a test run.

Before that though, we decided that we really needed to extend the length of wiring to the supercharger on/off button we had made, so we could easily switch it on and off from within the car. We procured ourselves a nice length of wiring and proceeded to feed it through the firewall. We had to run one wire from the superchargers electro-magnetic clutch plug into the cabin, then another from the cabin to the positive terminal of the battery. Obviously the on/off switch would be connected between those two wires.

With that done, we jumped in the car, plugged in the laptop and checked the current figures from winaldl. Everything seemed good to go. We decided to leave the supercharger off until we got to our test area, and also to perform some testing of the bypass valve under driving conditions. We backed out of the driveway and cruised slowly down the street. It was then we noticed that the fuel was a bit low, so we headed to the nearest fuel station to throw a bit of premium in before we tested the supercharger. We then headed to our test area and pulled over. It was time. With a press of the big green button, the supercharger whirred into life. I put it in first, and slowly pulled away. Adam was monitoring the aldl output with the laptop to make sure everything was looking good. We started with a slow cruise around, approx 20% throttle at most. Everything seemed to be working well. Slowly we ramped up our throttle usage, at about 50% you could quite easily feel the difference in power as the engine pulled quite strongly. When the throttle was released there was a pleasant blowoff sound. 

Unfortunately after cruising around and slowly building up our acceleration tests, we started to smell oil. We quickly pulled over and popped the hood. There was a light oil smoke coming from in the engine bay, and a small amount of oil sprayed around under the bonnet. Hmm not good. It wasnt a major issue, and had almost been expected, but not quite to that extent. We switched the supercharger off and drove gently home.

The problem was an oil leak from the rocker cover. It was not a new leak due to the supercharger, however the leak¬†was worse when using¬†the supercharger. Ever since we POR 15’d the¬†spare rocker cover (ie when we made it that shiny grey colour), and¬†swapped it over with the old one (see post ‘Happy New Year’ from Jan 14th 2008), we’ve been getting a little bit of an oil leak from the front left corner. We’re not sure if its an issue with the gasket, (as we were lazy and tried to reuse the one that was already there as it was quite new), or perhaps the rocker cover itself is slightly warped. Also it doesnt help that one of the rocker cover bolt holes is threaded. So basically we need fix that problem, as its leaking a bit more oil than expected when the engine is working harder.

So overall it was a rather successful first test, only cut short by an existing problem which we should have taken the time to resolve earlier. So as of yesterday we now have a true supercharged camira!

The next steps will be to fix the oil leak, perform some more tests and do some new dyno runs.

Below are some photos of the engine, filter, bypass etc.

Posted in Camira | 2 Comments »